This customer required a specially developed product that could withstand adverse conditions.
- Demanding environments require backup of the highest quality. The product can be left in a shed in the jungle or desert area, so it must withstand adverse conditions, Øystein Helgesen explains, product manager for air traffic control (ATC) at Jotron.
Jotron is a Norwegian family business that supplies critical products to airports all over the world. Among other things, they supply VHF and UHF radios used by air traffic controllers in air traffic towers to communicate with civilian and military aircrafts.
All airports require backup for radio communication and Jotron wanted a more seamless backup solution for its products.
In 2020, Jotron were looking for a new supplier who could raise the quality of the VHF and UHF radios.
- Jotron has supplied VHF and UHF radios for over 50 years, so the products are well established, but we wanted to improve the systems by further developing the backup for the radios. Someone in the company highly recommended Anda-Olsen, so we googled them to see what they could deliver, Øystein explains.
Jotron and Anda-Olsen eventually entered into a collaboration to develop a new DC Pro for the VHF and UHF radios.
- We started mapping needs and requirements so that we could produce a comprehensive product. We used a lot of our experience from other products, but also had to acquire new knowledge in order to deliver the best solution for Jotron, explains Michael Carroza, who has coordinated the project from Anda-Olsen's side.
Read also: Must deliver UPS to 17 VARD ships
The VHF and UHF radios are now supplied with a specially developed DC-UPS from Anda Power Solutions (APS) as backup. Should a power failure occur, this turns on immediately and secures a continuous power supply to the important radio communication systems.
- It has been a real challenge for us to get all the functionality Jotron wants in the same cabinet. The complexity is not only in functions but also in size. A lot of equipment must be packed into a very compact unit and it must still be serviceable, Michael explains, adding:
- The radios have also received a two-in-one solution as they now contain both an AC/DC and DC/DC, which is also new for Anda-Olsen's DC-PRO series.
Read also: Growing export of UPS solutions
Jotron supplies VHF and UHF radios to the whole world and 95% of their customers are outside Norway.
- In an ideal world, all equipment locations would have air conditioning and be free of moisture, but this is not possible. Therefore, we needed a partner who had extensive experience in producing products for rough and demanding environments, and the choice fell on Anda-Olsen, Øystein explains.
Anda-Olsen has extensive experience in offering flexible solutions to many different demanding environments. When Jotron needed a supplier for radio communication in desert and jungle areas, Anda-Olsen was the perfect match.
- Being allowed to lead such an exciting project and deliver such a high quality product is something I am very proud of. It has been a rewarding experience to work with the project managers at Jotron, says Michael.
Are you looking for a UPS for your project? Here you can read more and watch a video about Anda-Olsen's self-developed product range Anda Power Solutions
PS: Did you know that we also offer monitoring of UPSs and battery systems via app?